You may have thought about starting a newsletter for your business or maybe you’re wondering why email marketing is important. While many people associate email with too much spam and overflowing inboxes, email marketing is actually an important part of digital marketing for your business. It is a great way to build relationships, target prospects, and inform customers of new products and services.
Why Email Marketing is Important
Starting an email marketing campaign helps you build relationships with prospective and current customers. It also has a much higher ROI than other forms of digital marketing. One study found that for every $1 businesses spent on email they received $42 in return. Another great thing is email marketing services (like MailChimp, Aweber, Constant Contact, etc.) now make it very simple to design professional emails that you can send out to your subscriber list. You can also target customer segments for specific requests or promotions. For example, you can compile a list of all your past customers and ask them to leave you a review.
As much as we love social media, due to the nature of ever changing news feeds and algorithms it can sometimes be difficult to get your content in front of the right people. With email, you are getting right into people’s inboxes. Email marketing and your social media content should also complement each other. You can use your email newsletter to promote social media accounts and vice versa. Let people know why they should subscribe to your newsletter or follow you on social media.
Dos and Don’ts of Email Marketing
- Make sure your emails are mobile friendly. About half of all emails are now opened on mobile devices.
- Follow all CAN-SPAM Act requirements.
- Set a schedule for when you send out emails so your subscribers have a general idea of when to expect something from you. This could be a day of the week or just letting people know they’ll be receiving something weekly, biweekly, monthly, etc.
- Don’t just send advertisements. Provide value to your subscribers.
Email Marketing Newsletter Ideas
- Send out an automated welcome email when someone subscribes. This might include an opt-in you provided, like a free download or a discount code, or just an overview of your business and what to expect from your newsletter.
- Compile a list of your most recent blog posts or most popular posts.
- Share any awards or accolades your business has received.
- Create how-to guides, top 10 lists, and frequently asked questions with answers.
- Ask your subscribers what they would like to see more of via a survey.
- Spotlight team members.
- Share any upcoming events you are hosting or sponsoring.
- Highlight industry news that pertains to your business.
- Share behind the scenes photos, videos, or bloopers.
These are just some tips to help get you started with your email marketing strategy. It’s important to remember that if someone gives you their email address, they really want to know more and are interested in your business. Using email marketing properly can convert them into a customer!
Contact AGC to set up a consultation to discuss newsletter and other digital marketing ideas for your business.