The digital marketing world is constantly changing and as a small business it can sometimes be hard to keep up with. So, what can you expect to see in 2020? From influencer marketing to mental health breaks to platform specific tips, we’ve compiled our findings for digital marketing trends and tips for the new year!
Even though the digital landscape is constantly changing, it does not mean that social media and digital marketing is not viable. On the contrary, it is a very powerful tool for connecting your business with people both locally and around the world. One trend in social media marketing in 2020 we expect to see is the rise of authenticity. Between people getting fed up with social media in general and some unethical behavior by certain social media influencers, being authentic and truly connecting with your target audience by providing valuable content will allow small businesses to stand out from the competition.
2020 Social Media & Digital Marketing Trends
Here are some trends in social media marketing for 2020 to consider for your marketing:
While there has been some negative news around social media influencers, the trend of influencer marketing is not going away. We may see it shift more towards smaller influencers who have built really engaged communities. This can lead to higher engagement and ROI for brands at a lower cost.
Video has been on the rise on social media, and that trend will continue. Social media channels like Facebook and Instagram have been pushing video content more and YouTube has become extremely popular, especially among the younger demographic. Consumers watch video content (like reviews, unboxings, comparison videos, etc) to make purchasing decisions, and this will continue to grow. Live video will continue to grow in popularity as well.
It’s well known that people have short attention spans, especially when online. Interactive content is a great way to grab that attention and keep people engaged with your content. Examples of this can be quizzes, polls, infographics (people really like these!), mini games, 360-degree photos and videos. Don’t forget to celebrate holidays & smallidays, too! Download our 2020 Holidays & Smallidays Guide to help you stay on track & plan this content!
More and more consumers are turning to a company’s social media channels for customer service because it’s convenient. It’s important to consider social media in your customer service strategy. In 2020, we will see more chatbots being used to answer messages and simple inquiries. This is a great way for you to be “online” 24/7.
There has been a lot of news stories about websites being hacked and personal information being leaked. This has made people more wary about entering personal information on websites. Make sure your website is secure with an SSL certificate, especially if you are taking credit card information.
Your website content should be accessible to the blind, deaf, and those who must navigate by voice, screen readers or other assistive technologies. As our society becomes more and more digital, this is becoming increasingly important for businesses who have an online presence. Read more about this and our tips here.
People like seeing content and advertisements that are tailored for them. One of the best ways your business can do this is through your ads. Take advantage of the customization and targeting options social media sites offer. Use local targeting options in all social media posts to make sure your business is being seen by people who are nearby.
More and more social media users are taking breaks from social media platforms (or deleting them all together). While this can affect things like reach and engagement, it’s also a great opportunity to make sure you are producing quality content that provides value to your target audience so that when they are on social media they want to check out what you posted – and leaves a memorable impression for when they’re “offline!”
Leverage your audience
User generated content is already a popular trend and that will definitely continue to grow in 2020. Encourage your customers to tag you in their posts about your product or service. You might also want to consider starting your own online “community,” such as a Facebook group. This can be a great way to show appreciation to current customers and help win over potential customers.
2020 Social Media Platform Trends
Here are some tips on the best ways to utilize social media platforms in 2020:
- Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms and it’s still growing.
- Utilize the versatility of Instagram: photos, videos, IG Stories, live video, IGTV, shoppable posts, location tagging.
- Research and test different hashtags.
- Create a unique hashtag for your business and encourage customers to use it.
- Consider using influencer marketing.
- Facebook is currently the largest social media platform with a user base of over 2 billion people. This presents a lot of opportunity for marketing your business.
- Make sure you have a Facebook business page that includes your important information, like contact details and website.
- Set up a chatbot to immediately respond to inquiries.
- Experiment with advertising and targeting different audiences for your business.
- Video content is what YouTube is all about and it can be a great way to promote your business.
- Medium to long form content does best on this platform.
- Content ideas: tutorials, behind-the-scenes, introducing you and your business, how-to videos, reviews.
- Make sure your descriptions include a link to your website and any relevant information.
- Pinterest focuses on pictures – think of it as a visual search engine.
- There are over 290 million users and 61% have purchased something after seeing a promoted pin.
- Much of the content that users search for is for things that are trending and for life events – think design (interior, events, graphic design), parties, weddings, travel, as well as self-care, and how-to (gardening, DIYs, etc).
- Roughly 1/4 of marketers are using Pinterest, so this is a great time to get on board and capitalize on the audience!
- Twitter is more about quick, frequent updates.
- Post frequently about what’s going on with your business.
- Try creating quizzes or polls to engage with your audience.
- Link to new blog posts and include relevant hashtags.
- LinkedIn is more about B2B marketing.
- Establish yourself as an industry expert by posting opinions and informative content.
- Can be a powerful lead generation tool depending on your business and target market.
While it’s been difficult for new social media platforms to compete against the big ones, we have been seeing a rise in niche social media platforms. TikTok is a really great example of this, as we have seen its popularity continue to grow among the younger demographic.
What are some things you can do right now?
Make sure you have a social media marketing strategy for 2020. If your business is not active on social media, now is your chance to formulate a plan. Think social media marketing is a waste of time? Consider that people spend an average of two and a half hours per day on some type of social media platform. If you’re not marketing your business, your competitors most certainly are.
You might want to consider adding video, if it is not part of your content strategy. Short, informative, and funny videos are more likely to get shared. Also, prioritize having a secure website, especially if you are collecting any personal information. Get an SSL certificate if you don’t have one already (Bonus: SSL helps boost your SEO, too!).
These are just some of the social media and digital marketing trends we expect to see throughout 2020! AGC can help you create and implement a comprehensive digital marketing plan for your business.